Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas in the Barn

Christmas in the Barn
by Margaret Wise Brown with pictures by Barbara Cooney/ published 1952 by Thomas Y. Crowell


The story of the immaculate birth, Christmas in the Barn has not only helped inform my son of the Baby Jesus, but also of the fact that women carry babies in their tummies and that once he was a baby living in my tummy and that someday he will be a daddy. We actually have two versions of this book and in the updated version illustrated by Diane Goode, it is pretty clear that Mary is "with child"... in this original version, not so visually apparent. Of the era I suppose.

The child was sleeping in the hay
And there they were
All safe and warm
All together in that ancient barn.


I suppose I'd better leave out the part of how the wee Baby Jesus was actually conceived, as I am walking on thin ice on that subject anyway... I wouldn't want to confuse my son's wee little mind further. But I digress... Such a great Christmas story if you are wanting to remember the reason for the season.

Also by:
The Quiet Noisy Book
On Christmas Eve
The Dead Bird
Little Chicken
Chanticleer and the Fox
The Crows of Pearblossom
Wynken, Blynken and Nod
The Golden Egg Book
Ox-Cart Man
The Friendly Book
The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...